Friday, November 4, 2016

Carry-Out Charcoal Drawing



For this studio assignment we had to draw a Carry-Out carton with chopsticks out of charcoal. My goals and intentions were to make certain values pop out and create a realistic drawing. I accomplished this by experimenting with different shades and different types of charcoal, and by outlining parts of the carton differently. My painting is about dramatic shadows, smoothness, and the contrast between lights and darks. The most difficult challenge I had to face was creating the correct proportions and drawing the chopsticks correctly; and I met that challenge by trying different ways to draw them, and by cropping my composition. My drawing really works on the inside of the carry-out carton. Some things I have learned that I can bring into my next drawing were using new types of charcoal and blending techniques, such as using my eraser. Another person I can name in the class would be Lauren because her drawing was really nice, she had a different composition and a lot of depth to her drawing and she helped me with the shadows. If I had a do over, I might create a new composition and try to draw the chopsticks again. I feel best about how much I improved from my pumpkin charcoal artwork to this artwork.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! it glows in the dark. The chopsticks really lead your eye in and the shadows create depth

    ReplyDelete