Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Ed Ruscha Word Art




For our first studio project we had to take inspiration from Ed Ruscha and make a positive word out of ribbon or paper, adding light and shadow. I chose the word "limitless". My goals and intentions in this artwork were to convey a positive word in a unique way. I wanted to form letters in a way that is different than what you would expect, and I wanted to show how light can create different shadows by being placed at different angles. I accomplished these goals by planning out what I was going to do before I did it. I made sure to use the same lighting the whole time I created the drawing. I used different pencils to form different shadows and show value. Showing value and certain shading techniques, and how much perspective can add to art is what my drawing is about. What surprised me the most was how there are many different ways you could go about drawing 3-D objects and the many different ways people shade, such as tissue paper vs. just from different pencils. The most difficult challenge was probably getting everything to be even. It was hard to get the letters the same thickness throughout, and the shadows to be around the same value in the larger places. When I took a step back and took my time, it became easier. I feel that my drawing really works to show shadows and like the words are coming off the page. Some things I've learned are different shading techniques and how to be more consistent in my drawings. In my class, Lauren drew hers and added shadows in a way that made her word almost jump off the page. If I had a do-over, I might have chosen a different font for my letters, maybe one that was almost cursive. I feel the best thing about my work is the shading on the actual letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment